While the cold season seems like it’s already been around for way too long, its effect on our heating bill is only beginning. Maintaining low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be tough, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to help decrease those costs. That’s why we’ve developed a few furnace tips to help keep heating bills from skyrocketing.
To take aim at lowering your heating bills and enhancing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open during the warmest parts of the day to let sunlight in, helping warm your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks and crevices around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Installing a programmable thermostat so that you can more precisely control the temperature in your home, which will also increase energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every three months.
- Inspecting your heating vents to make sure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if your furnace has been around for more than 15 years.
- Putting insulation in your attic to keep heat from escaping.
- Checking your roof to make sure your shingles are intact, and that there aren’t holes or cracks that will need to be sealed.
Attempting to keep your energy bills down and energy efficiency up, is a year-round battle, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do some of the smaller things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions related to the tips above or questions about how you can decrease your heating bills, give us a buzz at 928-263-8570. Our experts are here to help you keep your home comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Payson weather.